Thursday, January 25, 2007

Renewable Energy at Work in India

In India, power shortages are felt nearly everywhere. The reasons range from corruption in government to power theft from over-head power lines. Residents rountinely tamper with electric meters and politicians arrange for families to get free power in exchange for votes. In many small villages, electric power lines are non-existent and the people reside in the darkness with the occassional use of kerosene lanterns.

New Life Evangelistic Center founded an ophranage in the town of Kakinada in southern India. Mark Bernier and Paul Day, recently traveled to India to work with Paparao Yeluchuri, the coordinator of the NLEC center in India and teach how to implement renewable energy. Now, NLEC India is teaching people how to use solar photovoltaics, solar cooking, solar hot water and micro hydro! Thousands participated and it was coverd by state television. Steps are now being taken to use micro-hydro in many rural villages where no electricity exists.

2 comments:

John said...

I'm glad to see that you've added this blog. I seem to have an insatiable appetite for anything related to alternative energy.

I enjoy adding to my photovoltaic system as my finances allow, but I'm not yet saving much on my electric bill. On the other hand, I've installed a corn-burning stove in my home, and am saving a lot on my heating bills this winter. I'm happy to be using a renewable source of heat instead of a polluting fossil fuel.

I started to explore renewable energy alternatives about a year ago, and I write about my experiences on my blog: http://solarjohn.blogspot.com

John

Anonymous said...

I'd love to know more about projects on the ground - esp. micro hydro!

About Us

New Bloomfield, Missouri
Your source for Renewable Energy